Monday, January 26, 2009

Noodling Anyone?

If you are a Vegan don't read this. If you are a Vegan, you should know I love meat and completely support hunting. And guns.
(I am laughing so hard right now - I sound so tough)

On to my point.......
So my girlfriend Carren and I have been emailing this morning and I asked her about her weekend - she goes hunting with her dad and other family members on the weekends and they ride 4 wheelers, drink, hang out, etc. I asked her if she was able to shoot anything this weekend which eventually led me to inquire about Noodling! I asked Carren if she was going to start Noodling. Well she did not know what Noodling was - I was quite surprised. If you know me, you know that I know little bits about lots of stuff and mainly its because I surround myself with people that are very bright so I am always learning. If you know Carren, you know she is like a freaking sponge that absorbs all information she hears, sees and reads.

I am quite excited that I am going to teach Carren about this sport - especially since it has to do with some form of hunting. I am not a hunter - I will happily eat the hunted but not go hunting. I will happily ride a 4 wheeler, camp, shoot guns and cook hunted things but never, ever will I go hunting. I should also let you know that My grandfather hunted, my uncles hunt, my father hunts and I have many friends that hunt so I respect the hunter and the hunted.

I keep getting side tracked - Noodling Catfish:
Most noodling takes place in shallow water. If the water is over your head, it can be difficult or even impossible to wrestle a fish to the surface. Noodlers search for likely catfish hideouts -- inside submerged logs, fallen trees, under rocks or in mud banks. Catfish make their nests where they feel safe. During spawning season, which occurs in spring and summer when the water temperature rises to about 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius), you're likely to find catfish in their nests because they seldom abandon their eggs.

Here are two guys noodling in the afternoon...........







And the chicks noodle too!












I am completely fascinated by this form of Noodling........I think all of those hunters I know need to start noodling! But be careful - I hear you can lose a limb.........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smut is familiar with noodling - but did you know that snakes like to hang out in those places too? Step away from the river Jen.

Nat said...

No noodling until tater tot is out!

StephB said...

So, noodling is similar to fish wrestling? How do avoid smushing all of the eggs?

Have you found a daycare yet? We have been pleasantly surprised with Dagny's daycare this year (it's our first time in daycare). Email or FB me and we can discuss.

Anonymous said...

You ladies are not going noodling! Period. My brother has done it, and it is dangerous and dirty and plain out stupid. Did I forget to mention that catfish are bottom eaters and unedible at that size? And they have killer gills! Plus, you and Carren have all of your teeth, so you don't qualify for the sport. I don't care how outdoorsy Carmelita is- the resident PWT (that me) says stay away! Knowing you two, you'd hit a patch of water moccasins. Mamacitas cannot risk their lives! But that doesn't mean you can read and dream about it.... Watch these dorks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIpOUgQt-g
They faked their catches, BTW.

Jen said...

Don't worry everyone - I am not going to attempt Noodling. haaa.haa!!!