Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Time Flies

Its been so long since I last posted I don't even know where to begin. I guess I could start with the beginning of the month.....
The first two weeks of May were pretty busy. I am working on a loan which is great so I am busy at work! Last week Jason and I went to the beach for our anniversary. Our actual anniversary is April 15th but when we went last year it was still a bit chilly so we decided to wait a month and turns out that was a good decision. It was warm and sunny all week/weekend long. We got to the beach Wed evening around 7:00 pm. We stopped at the liquor store and grocery store thinking we had enough time to get some shopping done before we went to the condo, unpacked then go to dinner. Wrong. All restaurants close at 9:00 pm near the condo so by the time we went to eat, nothing but Publix was open and I was not happy about that. Jason said he would cook dinner but that did not make me very happy either. I wanted to feel like I was on vacation damn it and cooking at home was not the answer! Oh well, once I was done throwing a fit Jason made dinner and all was good. We watched some tv then went to bed.
I woke up pretty early Thursday morning - the air conditioning guy had to fix something and he was knocking at the door around 8:30 am. I got up, let him in and made some coffee. It was such a good feeling to wake up while it was quiet (jason was still sleeping) and drink coffee on the patio. The patio faces a pond and there are always fish jumping, turtles swimming and we even saw a gross black snake. I worked for a little bit then went to see when Jason was going to get up. We went for a run and we were going to ride the bikes but the his bike had a flat tire so we hit the beach instead. We laid in the sun for a while, watched the water, read our magazines & books then went for a walk. The water was not too bad but the tide was rough so we didn't actually get in the ocean.
Thursday night we went to dinner in St. Augustine. We ate at Saltwater Cowboys which was interesting to say the least. I would describe Saltwater Cowboys is a rickety old house that has been turned into a restaurant. The description on line states the following: Cowboys interior is reminiscent of a turn-of-the-century fish camp with handmade willow twig furniture, old wooden floors, rusted tin ceilings with gator and snake skins hanging on the walls. Either way, it's old but cute.




The hostess asked us if we would like to sit inside or out? Outside of course! She walked us through the dinning room to the deck outside that faces the marsh on the inter coastal. There was a nice breeze and the sun was starting to set so it was very relaxing. As we sat down on our plastic chairs (like the ones we have at our house but these were green) I noticed a cat just below us sitting in the sun. He was surrounded by oyster shells (hundreds of them) and some trash which odd. Then we noticed another cat and another and a few others! They were all orange so we knew they were related. There were about 6 to 8 cats laying down or playing right next to us! They we cute. Well most of them were cute. Some of them needed major repairs. They would jump up on the porch and walk or zoom past your table - really you didn't want them touching you because they were living in filth but still some of them looked pretty well groomed for scrounge kitties. Jason tried to feed one and I think it must have swatted at him because I saw Jason jump......haa.haa!!
As we were eating our dinner someone came out to the porch and threw a bunch of cooked shrimp tails over the deck and they landed right next to us. So all of the cats were now trying to get a piece of those tasty morsels. The cats were so close I could have reached out and touched them. A little weird but funny. Jason and I still enjoyed our dinner and just laughed at where we were eating. As we were finishing our meals I noticed something moving in the marsh. I thought it was another cat, but not so much. It was a Raccoon!!! And it was not cute at all. It just came out of the water so it's butt was wet. The waiter said it's name was Stevette. I guess there are two of them. Steve and Stevette. Anyway Stevette kept walking closer to the deck and it totally freaked me out. I did not want to get rabies on my vacation! There was nothing between me and that raccoon and I did not like it. Stevette eventually walked toward the back of the porch which was fine with me.
I don't think I could ever describe the scenery enough to do it justice but it was an experience we will never forget.
Friday I went for a run. I walked 1/2 and ran the other 1/2. It was so humid and it felt like I was carrying a wet blanket the entire time. I was happy when I finished though. Jason and I hung out at the beach and pool all afternoon. That night we drove to the Flagler Fish Market - the food there is soooo delicious!! Its so fresh and the people that work there are super nice. We purchased some scallops and shrimp & took them home to make pasta and seafood. It was so good and I personally think way better than the meal we had the night before. Granted, I did have some tasty hush puppies Thursday night but you really can't compare those to the best scallops in the world. Or Universe for that matter.
Anyway, around 10:30 pm our friends Todd and Jaimee got to the condo. They brought their 1 1/2 year old daughter Emma with them but she was sleeping. Todd, Jaimee & Emma live in Tampa so we don't get to see them that much. It was really great they were able to come and hang out. Saturday we all headed to the pool swam around, laid out and drank some beers. Around 1:30 or so Emma took a long nap which gave us a chance to have some adult time and eat some lunch. When she woke up we went to the beach then back to the pool for a little bit longer. Emma is talking up a storm - she repeated everything a 100 times and it was pretty damn funny. She would also try to talk in complete sentences but the only thing that comes out is "blah, blee blah, blah blah blah"? Then she smiles really big and shows you whatever is in her hand or points to something and repeats. Dolly, dolly, dolly, dolly, dolly, shoe, shoe, shoe, etc.....It was a great weekend! We can't wait to do it again!
I will post pictures tomorrow - something was messed up with Picasa this morning so I couldn't download them.

No comments: