Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hoochies!

I joined the Chattahoochee Road Runners Club in Marietta a few months ago. The club supports all people from shorter distance walkers/runners to long distance runners. Its a fun group with a lot of very nice people. The third Monday of every month there is a meeting at the Mellow Mushroom off of Windy Hill. Last night we got to listen to and meet Ultramarathoner Scott Ludwig. Scott has run and finished 136 marathons, 686 races and run over 110,000 miles. Better yet, he has also completed the Western States 100 Miler (trail running) and the 135 mile Badwater Ultramarathon from Death Valley to Mount Whitney. (which is only held in July) If you have a chance definitely check out the Badwater web site. This race is amazing. After listening to Scott speak about Badwater it made you want to go out and run 100 miles! Also, If you are interested he founded the Darkside Running Club dedicated to ultramarathon runners.

The farthest I have fun so far is 13.1 miles. I am going to run my 5th 1/2 this weekend:
1. Big Sur 1/2 in Monetery Bay (oct. 2005)
2. Atlanta Thanksgiving 1/2 (nov. 2005)
3. ING Atlanta 1/2 (mar. 2007)
4. ING Atlanta 1/2 (mar. 2008)
5. will be the Nashville 1/2 (apr. 2008)

I have never had the urge to run more than a 1/2 marathon until last night. I am still pretty keen on not running a full marathon but I would like to see if I can run 15 miles. So, my goal for this summer is to complete 15 miles and I guess I will see how I feel after that.

No comments: