Thursday, April 24, 2008

Charcoal...........

I went to art class again last night and LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!! We started drawing with charcoal. A 2B Crayon to be exact. I finally understood what the instructor meant by positive light and negative light - well, I grasped what he was saying with regard to shadow. Only 4 people showed last night so it was pretty cool. It was a much more relaxed class. It also helped to know that other students were kind of in the same situation as I am with some of the drawing techniques so I felt much more at ease.

I love charcoal because it's messy and you don't have to be so exact like when using the pencil. I left with black fingers and I need to cut my nails (which I am not super happy about) but it will be easier to hold the charcoal. I also learned that there are two kinds of grades. H & B : H deals with sharpness and B deals with heaviness of the lead. Do I have this backwards? Oh well, this is what I remember. Now I am supposed to purchase some sort of Fastener spray so my charcoal drawings don't smudge all over the place. I am also going to get one of those erasers that are mushy. You know, you can twist them, break them apart and keep using them until they are dirty.

So, it was a good night with being art. I would also like to say Thank you to Lala for her advise. It was very helpful.

Love ya! Stick.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Hey there. I was thinking about your artwork and nail situation, and I may have a solution. I've heard of people scraping their nails on soap before going out to garden without gloves. Then they go in and wash hands, and the soap washes out from under the nails, and no dirt in the nails. I wonder if you could do this with your charcoal. Does that make any sense?

Jen said...

that makes total sense! thanks for the tip. I could carry a small bar of soap in a travel container, couldn't I?